Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sailing and the Stairway to Nowhere

I mentioned the boys and I went to see my Dad over Labor Day weekend.

He took us sailing.

Here are some great pictures of my precious little pirates!





While we were there, relaxing and sailing, Aaron and D.O. were here...laboring...spraying themselves in the face with spray paint.




There is a reason I don't leave very often.

When I do, my husband calls me and says, "Do we have something that I could put on my face that would feel real cold and nice?"

"What did you do?" I ask.

"I rubbed paint thinner all over my face...and judging by how my face feels right now, I don't think that stuff is supposed to go there."

I knew something awful was going on when I called Aaron from my dad's and told him I was trying to decide when I should come back home...late that night...or early the next morning.

Usually, since he hates being anywhere for more than a few hours without us, he would have said, "Come home today."

Instead...

I heard D.O. laughing in the background and Aaron say...

"Um...well...you should probably stay there another night."

I was afraid.

Later I found out that D.O. was probably laughing because he was high.

They sealed themselves into a tiny area and spray painted for an entire day.

I wanted to have a funeral for all their dead brain cells...but then I remembered that D.O. and Aaron both probably need to lose some brain cells...they have too many.

They weren't really spraying themselves in the face with spray paint...

Well, I mean, that wasn't all they were doing...

They were also painting our NEW staircase!



Go stairs!

They are finally finished.

They are beautiful.

They go up, as all good stairs should do.

They still arrive at no destination, but one day, a destination will be at the top of those stairs!

Just when I thought I had seen all that Aaron could do...

Well...then he puts in a massive stair case.

Who knew the man had stairs in him?

I never saw steps sitting in his brain...not in 11 years of looking at his head did I ever see stairs hiding in there!

To celebrate climbing through the ceiling, here's a poem that was my FAVORITE growing up.

halfway down the stairs is a stair where i sit.
there isn't any
other stair quite like it.
i'm not at the bottom,
i'm not at the top;
so this is the stair where i always stop.

halfway up the stairs
isn't up and it isn't down.
it isn't in the nursery,
it isn't in town

and all sorts of funny thoughts
run round my head.

it isn't really anywhere!
it's somewhere else
instead!

a. a. milne

We give sailing,

stairs

people that help make and paint stairs
(Wade, Andy, Ryan, D.O., Chad. Mr. Ken)

and

poems about stairs two thumbs up.

Yay for all those things.

9 comments:

Jennifer Bacak said...

The stairs are fantabulous. The pics of Aaron and D.O. scared me. You should put a parental warning on this post.
jenn

The Kramer Family said...

My little nephews are the cutest sailors ever! Those are really great pictures. My favorite is the pirate one with Hayden's little finger making a hook.....arrrggghhh!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Heather - 5:32 AM? What is up with that?

They were the best 3 lil sailors ever! .... and Heather actually did wonderful "outside". Wind, rain, thunder and all......

Just wanted to make sure Jason knew that.

Heather's Dad

Hendrick Family said...

5:32 a.m.??

The only thing I'm doing at that time is flushing and heading back to bed!

Someone needs to fix that!

And yes...

Like my dad mentioned...

I DID do GREAT on the sailboat...

even though sailboats are outside...and I knew that going into this adventure.

There's no such thing as indoor sailing.

That's too bad...but I still had a great time.

Karen said...

I agree ... the stairs look great! I so want to see your cute house!!! Great pics of those adorable boys!

carrie said...

Flushing and heading back to bed..... this is an example of why I keep reading your blog. You say what we all think. YOur great!
Carrie

emily said...

ahhh i so enjoyed being with you and at your house today--thank you for opening up your home to me--

honestly you have no idea how excited i am...or how excited my roommates are! they almost jumped in the car right when i told them!

soo thank you. thank you for simply letting me sit on your couch and talk-being around families brings me so much joy

ps: the stairs do look awesome!

--emily

King Family said...

I didn't think your house could get any cooler, but then you go and put those stairs in. Amazing. Your little sailors are incredibly sweet too.
staci

theBirkenfelds said...

Heather, it's been too long since I've checked blogs -- I miss all of these cool pictures!

I definitely need Aaron to teach me how to do manly things around the house and in the shop -- it's sad the best thing I can do at our house is wash dishes.

By the way, could you have any cuter boys? Like honestly! Meg and I are praying for ones just as sweet and loving!

Chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side!

Brock