Saturday, July 14, 2007

Cilantro Summers

Summer Salsa for my Cute Kirby

Ingredients

2 cans 14.5 oz of diced tomatoes with green chilies
(hot or mild, organic or cancerous...your choice)

1 can 28 oz of peeled whole tomatoes
(organic or cancerous...but make sure there are NO Italian seasonings)

1 bunch of fresh cilantro

1 1/2 medium onions or 1 huge 1015 onion (those are so good right now)

2 T minced garlic from the jar, or freshly minced, if you want to be stinky for 3 days

2 limes

If you want chunky salsa, then you can use a food processor and only chop ingredients for a very short little while.

My kids will only eat it (eagerly) if I put everything in the blender, so that it's all just a big mixture of sauce, instead of huge clumps of tomatoes and onions.

So... In a blender, put half the cilantro in, then one can of diced tomatoes, then the other half of cilantro, then the other can of diced tomatoes. Layering it makes it blend better. If something gets stuck, you may have to stir during the blending.

Blend thoroughly.

Dump into a big bowl.

Next, put half the onion in the blender, cut into huge wedges, half the big can of peeled tomatoes, the garlic and the lime.

Blend.

Dump.

Put in the rest of the onion and the remaining tomatoes.

Blend.

Add salt to taste (we like it salty).

Stir everything together in the big bowl by hand.

Enjoy!

I make this every week. It makes enough for my entire family (and the multitudes of people who think they live here) to munch on it all week as a snack, as well as for some sort of Mexican food dish during the week AND Sunday night breakfast tacos eaten with friends. It's a bunch.

I also play around with it all the time. Last week I used 2 cans of chipotle diced tomatoes for the 14.5 oz sizes and for the 28 oz size, I bought a can of fire roasted tomatoes. I did not add the lime. It was yum.



Chicken Pasta with Cilantro Lime Sauce

Jenn and I went to eat dinner at Square One at the beginning of the summer...she ordered this stuff...I ate a bite and LOVED it. I love cilantro, if you can't tell.

Ingredients


8 chicken tenderloins

1 stick of butter

1 large onion (I love 1015's in the summer!)

whipping cream

milk or soy milk

minced garlic

1 bunch of cilantro

3-4 limes depending on how much you love lime. Lime and cilantro together are seriously one of my FAVORITE food combinations for cooking.

bag of shredded parmesan cheese

1 box of penne pasta

Cook noodles separately. Throw tenderloins in a big skillet with about 1/4 stick of butter. Throw in diced onion. If the tenders aren't cut up, you can cut them into bite sized pieces once they are almost cooked. Salt and pepper onions and chicken. Once onions and chicken are cooked, add remaining butter, 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, about 1/2 cup of whipping cream, 1/2 cup milk, chopped cilantro and cook on LOW just until cilantro is limp. If you want more sauce, just add more milk/whipping cream, salt, pepper and garlic. Once mixture is done, squirt the limes all over the top and stir. Serve over penne noodles, topping with shredded
Parmesan cheese from a bag (not the jar stuff...ew.)

This is a summer pasta, so the sauce will be LIGHT...not thick and heavy like an alfredo. I think I've made this once a week since eating it at Square One.

Have fun with cilantro. Just the smell of it makes me smile.

6 comments:

Hendrick Family said...

Kirby wanted this recipe, but knowing how I don't do recipes...I just throw things in a blender, she was going to come over one day and sit and take notes. BUT...the precious girl brought me another couch full of clothes yesterday. I screamed with delight as I looked at each piece of clothing that I can't wait to wear. I am going to be STYLING, people. I changed clothes twice yesterday...and probably will today, just so I can wear these garments of coolness.

I thought the LEAST I could do was make some hot sauce and write it down for her. This means I love you Kirby...lots...because recipes give me ulcers. They are so rigid and mean.

Heather

Jennifer Bacak said...

I making the pasta for the second time right now! I am making for the whole group tonight here at our beach house. Good times. Can't wait to eat this. I'm going to put in more cilantro and lime this time.
I love food too much.
jenn

the Apels said...

Oh my goodness this has made my day! I have been absent from blogging for a few days b/c I've been packing up my house like a crazy lady and was just catching up...I want to run to the store right now to get all the ingredients, but Asher is still napping.

Oh, Heather...I love this recipe...you better not be like my mom and leave out that one secret ingredient, so that everyone still thinks you make it the best! That is evil!! I'll let you know if it tastes like yours.

You forever have my clothes,

Kirby

Hendrick Family said...

No, no, no...I may have left something out, but it would not have been on purpose...it would have been because I'm a moron and had children climbing me and dancing around the kitchen while I was trying to write this down.

Heather

Leslie Moore said...

I made the cilantro pasta tonight and it was amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Hendrick Family said...

I'm so glad you liked it, Leslie! We ate it tonight too! Funny!

Heather