Monday, December 04, 2006

My Turn



Well, apparently I've fallen victim to the latest form of blog shenanigans. I've been tagged. By my own son no less!

Like some sort of blog-chain-letter, there's a lot of tagging going around. Someone tagged Heather. Heather tagged someone, who tagged someone, who tagged Anson, who tagged me.

Having been tagged I must now post 5 things about myself that you don't know.

Many of you may be thinking, "That should be easy. Since Aaron never talks, I don't know anything about him."

But that's where you're wrong.

The fact is it doesn't take long to know pretty much everything about me. I'm pretty boring.

But here are 5 little-known-facts about myself in no particular order:

#1. I'm a little metrosexual when it comes to my Christmas tree. Maybe even a lot metrosexual.
I want my tree to be perfect.
I want the decorations to match.
I only want white lights ... that stay on. (No flashing lights and definitely no colored lights.)
I love the trees at the bank or the mall because they are perfect. The decorations are precisely spaced and they all match.
The problem is that as my kids get older their Sunday school teachers think that making Christmas tree ornaments is a great craft idea. However, I do not want their little clothespin reindeer or cotton ball snowmen on my tree. Those don't match.
And I don't care if they string popcorn till their fingers bleed. I don't want it on my tree.

This is how bad it is ...
Growing up our Christmas tree didn't match. And by that I mean that my mom had all of our homemade ornaments on it. Plus whatever ornaments we had picked up over the years from various Christmas parties and garage sales. We had snowmen, stocking, Santas, reindeer, and even a pac-man ornament.
I know that those things were special to her, but ...

However, one year she let me have my own little fake tree in my room. I got to decorate it and make it perfect like the trees in the bank or the mall.
That made me happy.

Unfortunately I did not get to help decorate our tree at home this year. Heather and the boys decorated it while I was at church on Saturday.
But PRAISE GOD, my wife knows and loves me well enough that she did a fantastic job making our tree look like a bank tree.
Thanks honey.

#2. I can't resist cheap books.
I just can't.
Ever since Hastings started having that huge used bookrack where all the books are $1.99, I've bought SO MANY books.
I just can't stop.
And I can't read them as fast as I buy them.
But that doesn't stop me.
Any books that look interesting ... I buy.
Some are good.
Some are not.
After the Wall - a book about East Germany after the wall came down - was so boring I didn't finish it.
But Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers was very educational and quite entertaining.
I've got books about advertising.
Books about marriage.
Books about Shakespeare.
And a book of epitaphs from the fictional graveyard of a fictional town.
If you're ever looking for something to read, just ask me.
I've got piles of books you can go through.

#3. I wish I could cook ... but I can't.
I've tried. And when I see guys on movies and TV who prepare some amazing dinner and impress their lady-friend ... I think ... "I should learn to cook. Then I'd be cool."
But alas, I cannot.
You can ask Heather about my cooking.
She can tell you stories that are too long for me to type, but entertaining none the less.

#4. I love Willie Nelson.
Some of you may know this already. In fact, a few of you may have heard me sing like Willie before (I mean on purpose ... not the way I normally sing.)
My wife hates Willie. But every time the subject comes up, I just say to myself, "like Christ loved the church ... like Christ loved the church" and I overlook this obvious flaw in an otherwise wonderful woman.

#5. I take baths.
There I said it. I'm not ashamed.
Again, a few of you knew this already. And most of the people who know this often use this bit of information to poke fun at me.
But I don't care.
I like baths. I like to sit down in hot water and relax and read one of my $1.99 books.
You can't read in the shower.
And you have to stand up the whole time.
And only certain parts of you can be in the water at any one time.
These are all reasons that I dislike the shower.
The only advantage the shower has is time.
You can take a shower much more quickly than you can take a bath.
But I'm usually not in a hurry.
I just want to sit and soak. And read.

So there you have it. Five things about me you probably didn't know ... and a few images in your head that you wish you could get rid of.

And since I'm not going to be the one to break the chain-letter and bring all that bad luck on myself, I will tag 5 people.

Now who to tag?
I'll tag Charlie, Poppi (my dad), Allen, Will (my brother), and Rusty (Jenn, make him do it!)

14 comments:

Roger L. Sieloff said...

I really think you are the reincarnation of Tennesee Williams. Read "Cat on a hot tin roof". From what I have read of you it seems you have the makings of a great American novelist. The tragety reides in whether this nation is ripe for another author of your tallent. What the hell - just do it. My children's children would like to read the synopsis of your Great American Novel 50 years from now.

Returning to relity - unfortunately, I am the proof of the following fact:

If your parents don't have children, then you won't either...

Hendrick Family said...

I gasped out loud when I saw that he told all of you that he takes baths. It has been a sad, family secret for many, many years. I don't know what I think about him coming out of the closet...I mean bathroom like this.

Oh my word!

the Apels said...

Hey there's nothing wrong with a good bath! Dude, I was so feeling you on the Christmas tree thing...I'm so OCD on them.
~Charlie

Jiffy News said...

Aaron...
You are not alone. Mark takes baths...he loves them. I can tell you this because he would tell you this. He's a marine who takes baths. He's pretty secure about it.
JudyD.

Hendrick Family said...

Holy cow, people. Please stop this! Now Aaron is NEVER going to stop taking his man baths. And, I don't want to know about all these other men doing the same thing. Gross! Mark!! For the love of our country...stop taking baths...and Charlie!! Ick! Kirby! Stop him!

Lyns said...

I can't even get Jason to take a shower! He would tell you this because he isn't ashamed of his dirty bird self!

I have to remind him it has been a while since his last rinse. So, I don't know what he would think about all of this bath nonsense. I would hate to see the bath after he sat in it for 30 minutes. GROSS!

Clean men folk,
Can you help a brotha out, please??

Melodi said...

I have dibs on the cadaver book!!!

Jiffy News said...

Lyns...
I tagged you in JiffyNews. :)
JudyD.

Alisha Lombardi said...

well..in my family, we've resorted to only putting lights and a star on our tree-that's usually bought the week before Jesus's birth.
we're going on our 4th yr of no decorations, mom tries to make us put stuff on it every yr..but no no avail, the tree remains barren until her colored, flashing lights go up...

alisha

Anonymous said...

Man... i really need to stop reading this blog! i learn way too much about people. But, I have to say that a good bath (occasionally) isn't that bad of thing. And I can say that because, lets face it... I play the piano, and people rag on me about that enough as it is... what's a little bath gonna hurt! So stand proud (or lay down in steamy water proud) and don't let your wife tear you down about it!!

Garratts said...

MIKE SO TAKES BATHS!!!!!!!!!!!

Master Kaycee said...

I am scarred for life to find out that so many men apparently take baths...I am totally distraught by this new information

Sarah said...

i never really thought that baths were so gender specific, but they totally are.

i am slightly disturbed by this new revelation.

oh, and I grew up in an strict only-white-lights household--so unfortunately i inherited the obsession.

my mom actually mentioned getting colored lights this year and we all freaked.

JoCa said...

I'm just trying to figure out why it's a bad thing for a guy to take a bath. I take showers because of the expediency of them, but I love a good soak from time to time.

I love to read to, bro. So I'm with you on the buying random cheap book thing. I once left an estate sale with two boxes of books that looked interesting, and I only spent twenty books.
I haven't read much in the bath tub though. The only thin I'm OCD about is my books. It's sad really. I have this huge bookshelf and the kids are always getting them out of order. After awhile, I've got to re-alphabetize them. And...I'm very firm about Daddy's books not being play toys.

Oh well, guess we all have our obessions.