Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hendrick Halloween



It seems that Halloween is a lot like Pig Pen. A cloud of views, opinions, history, and arguments seem to surround it. Speaking of Pig Pen, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown did NOT come on TV this year. What is this world coming to? Huh?

So...back to the Halloween big-hoopin' deal...

All I know is Halloween is a holiday where you get to walk up to perfect stranger’s doors, say hello, hold open a bag…and they give you CHOCOLATE.

It might be poisoned...but it's CHOCOLATE. I'll take my chances.

Wherever people are handing out possibly poisoned chocolate, you can count on the Hendricks to be there.

We went over to the Bacak’s to take the kids street walking
.

And this is BEFORE they have had any candy.
Again, we should have stuck some glow sticks on these guys.
And I stuck Danny in camo.
What is wrong with me?
I have so much to learn.

We invited Allen and Kendra to Jenn and Rusty’s house…mainly so we could see Taylor in her Pebbles costume.


We also got to see the Bacak’s hope group. There were so many cute costumes, I wish I had taken a picture of all of them…but here are a couple…

Very serious superheroes, because all superheroes should be serious.
Really. They must.

Dr. Jodi, Medicine Woman.

My favorite part of the night was that every time my kids knocked on a door they said, “Trunk or Treat!”

How funny!

That morning, I tried to teach them the traditional trick-or-treat chant.

While we were eating our Halloween cereal (cereal with lots of candy in it) I told them I was going to teach them what you say when you go trick-or-treating.

My kids were paying close attention…soaking in every tidbit of information I could give them about this myth called trick-or-treating. They were intently listening, all eyes were on me while I told them how this system of candy on demand works. You would have thought I was teaching them how to slay a dragon they were so frightened, amazed and amused. By the look on their faces you could tell they thought that their very lives depended on how well they performed this new daring feat of door-to-door treating. This was serious business.

I said… “When you walk up to the door, you say, “Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat.”

Hayden kind of laughed for a moment, then got silent…and Anson just stared at me…then calmly he said…


“Mom, I don’t think we should say that, it’s really rude.”

I said… “Oh. I guess it is!”

They were very disappointed in me!

The kids looked so cute in their costumes.

Anson wanted to be a spy.

We collected cheap spy toys…black clothing…the works.

By the time we got to the Bacak’s he had decided it would be so much more funny if he was just the color black for Halloween…so that’s what he told everyone he was…the color black
.

Hayden was…well…the most normal looking I have seen him since birth. My child that wears goggles, capes, Mardi Gras necklaces, 4 belts and carries a pocket full of straws (magic wands) to the grocery store wanted to be a police man.

A policeman?

I could not believe it.

I said, “A policeman with super powers?”

He said, “No. A policeman with…handcuffs.”

While other kids looked so festive, Hayden looked like he wasn’t participating in Halloween. I felt like we were in an alter universe. My child who lives each day as though it were Halloween was hands-down the plainest looking child we saw all night. I hardly recognized him.

He has wanted to be a policeman for about a month. He pretends like he is one every single day.

He writes tickets and says, “Stop in the name of the law!”

He has wanted handcuffs since August.

He finally made do with some mason jar rings.

They were not attached, but he could put you under arrest with them, so he was happy.

I bought him a policeman set for Halloween to go with his police clothes. I gave him his real-life, pretend, plastic handcuffs when he woke up from his afternoon nap. I have never seen such joy.

He’s been a jail junky lately.

We’ll be driving around town and he will start asking me 95 questions, in machine-gun fashion about prison.

“If you run over someone with our car, mom, will you go to jail?”

“If you break a window, will you go to jail?”

“If you say a bad word, mom, will you go to jail?”

“If you jump out of our house and make a hole in our roof, will you go to jail?”

According to Hayden, people in jail get "locked" and have to sleep all day.

He is terrified of going there.

Ashton wanted to be a “Big Truck” for Halloween.

This means he wanted to be an 18 Wheeler. He often sleeps with one at night.

I was completely out on this costume.

I had no idea how to do this and still have him mobile for our night of free candy gathering.

So, I convinced him to be a road
.


He was down with that.

Of course, he filled his trick-or-treat bucket up with cars to take with him, so there was not much room for candy.

Danny was an army man.


He’s not really the age where he thinks having anything weird on him is fun. He thinks you put capes and hats on him just so he can take them back off...and you can put them back on him again.

He and Ashton would explode with excitement at each door as someone handed them candy. Ashton would run back down the drive way shouting… “CANDY!”

Danny was not sure why we were not going into any of these nice people’s homes. He was very confused. He kept looking at us like, “We do usually go in after we knock and they open the door, right?” We had to constantly call him out of people’s foyers.

As soon as he walked back from a front-door candy machine, he would start eating his candy…and eat it until we got to the next door.

Then he would throw his “old” piece of candy in their yard and get his new piece. I mean, come on…that other piece of candy was “so next door.”

I was a hippy and Aaron made me gag.




He was Joe Dirt.

Not only did he work very hard to look like Joe Dirt, he was also constantly quoting lines from the movie.

If someone at the Bacak’s house had dressed up like a lawyer for Halloween, I might have divorced Joe Dirt right there on the spot.

I could barely make eye contact with Aaron he was so gross.

He loved his nasty self though.

He got dressed before the kids woke up from their naps. When Aaron went to wake Ashton up from his nap (he is fond of sleep) Ashton opened his little eyes, looked at his Joe Dirt dad and said, “Daddy…no.”

Children are so honest…and so are wives…but that didn’t make our determined Daddy change his clothes!

So Halloween was a hit.

On the way home, I decided I like this holiday.

I’m sorry.

Maybe I’m going to hell, but it seems so much easier…so much simpler to understand and to grasp.

I think it’s easier to spot Halloween’s evil…the black…the darkness…the death…the terrifying than it is for them to spot the evil on display during Christmas.

8 comments:

CarpioFamily said...

Ok, ya'll costume was awesome. I totally agree with you on the halloween thing. It's full of evil and darkness, but as christian we are to use our lights to shine in the darkness. This was also Easton's first year to trick or treat. He was so bewildered, he kept trying to run ahead of everyone to beat them, i think he thought everyone would run out of candy.

Melissa said...

Sorry, but the Great Pumpkin came on Friday night. We DVR'd it and have watched it about five times!

Kathryn Berilla said...

I love Ashton as the road. How creative.
Dressing up is the best, I get just as excited as the boys do.

Jennifer Bacak said...

It was good fun. Good fun for Halloween.
jenn

Palermos said...

You all looked awesome! Aaron grossed me out..but it was great! Sorry we didn't have any candy to hand out! I told Hayden we didn't have any and he just looked at me like I was crazy. "You don't?" he said with a look of total confusion. I'm sure he was thinking "Who are these crazy people who let me in there house on Halloween and don't have candy to give me?" sorry buddy! we didn't expect any "trunk" or treaters!

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Kids blow my mind. The children of LH have taught me so much about the Lord, faith, simplicity, etc. in this past year!

At HOPE group last night I told Whitney I should invent a kidTIVO to record those beautiful moments. I don't have the slightest clue how it would work, but I sense it's on the horizon.

And unattached mason jar lids as handcuffs. It don't get much better than that!

Erin said...

It was so fun seeing your family on Tuesday night! Their costumes were all so unique!! I have to agree with you on the fact that Aaron's costume was gross. Your kids can dress up and come trunk-or-treat at my house any day!

Anonymous said...

First, you don't really say "smell my feet" when you go trick or treating. That's what you say at school on the playground on Halloween.

Second, you aren't going to hell for liking Halloween, just like the majority of America isn't going to Heaven for liking Christmas (not flawless logic, but I liked it).

Third, I know you have trouble with Matt and Brandon's blogs, because I have the same problem... with theirs and yours! So we do those the old fashioned way until Thomas can tell me otherwise.